Skip to main content

A New Year and Manifesto


Hello everyone, Jessica here. I'm using the blog I used back for 445 so if you see previous entries (full of typos and half-formed thoughts, eek) that's why. It's nice to keep this blog going though and be able to reflect on what I wrote before.

For my manifesto, I decided to write a poem... not sure if that's allowed but being that a manifesto is a declaration of sorts, the poetic form worked (hopefully), at least for me and sorting through my thoughts which are often scatter-brained one-liners.

"Manifesto"

I am a teacher who does not seek
straight-backed rows of tucked in selves
and compliance, but freedom
clanging like bells mirrored in
my students' eyes and laughter, only
their chimes are louder. Fire
sharpened and kindled
on the lives of one another, creating
a new, better world, where love
is possible, not dampened by the weight
of fill-in-the-blank dots 
and their own ellipses of quiet and pain.

I am a teacher who sees the homeless,
the would-be nameless, the broken and ashamed,
inviting them to the table to bring
more light in where none was before,
because each individual is brimming
with flame, no matter what the media
nor the politicians nor the neighbors 
nor even the families might say 
to strike that spark
out, rub it from the book like ink
whittled away to ash, ghost.

I am a teacher who says, we will not let them. 
So let us tell a new story,
where these hurts might exist, but do not last forever,
and we can pull our hands down from our faces
that some might have us hide
and despite the histories on our shoulders
we can look at each other the way,
perhaps, no one else does
in compassion and awe, our minds and mouths
full of language and understanding
that not all can be understood or unraveled,
but that, together, we are named
and perhaps afraid, but never 
alone.

Comments

  1. Absolutely beautiful Jess. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you turned this into a poem! Certainly is a great way to reflect who you are, and shows that we all have different ways of putting our thoughts into words. I agree with Haley, so beautiful and inspiring. Looking forward to reading more of your work this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really beautiful interpretation of the assignment Jessica. I think it's amazing and it really shows off your personality and your skill. I think poetry is all about being scatter brained and thinking in unusual patterns, so good on you. I was thinking about turning mine into a poem as well but then when I saw that you had already covered that territory I went in a different direction. Well done and I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice, Jessica. I particularly appreciate the part at the end about carrying the weight of history and carrying it forward with compassion and collective solidarity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Failure is not a permanent condition?

When Thomas briefly compares Growth Mindset's popularity to that of policies which stress "grit" and "no excuses," it instantly made me think of Angela Duckworth, a psychologist who recently published a book titled Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance . I actually purchased this book because I found it interesting how at the beginning she detailed her life growing up in her father's shadow; he was a man who sought brilliance and expected nothing less from her. This led her on a journey to figure out, scientifically, what "grit" is -- what enables certain individuals to go above and beyond for their goals, while others seemingly display no drive?  I never ended up finishing the book, but after reading Thomas' post I'm pulled back to the question of grit. How do you "curate" a characteristic in an individual? As he points out, an issue with these philosophies and approaches to poverty-stricken students is this: they plac

Lost in the Digital World?

First: I admit that I did not listen to the podcast "The Internet of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" with danah boyd and Krista Tippett. I actually printed out the transcript and read it as I would another article or essay instead. My reasoning? Podcasts are difficult as they offer no visual material to interact with, and I don't function that way as a reader or listener. Recognizing this made me go back to one of our earlier classes, where we discussed the NCTE's guidelines and how mastery of technology is a necessity in this day and age of teaching. In previous classes, ideas I've had for lessons have included creating podcast episodes or something similar. How do I expect students to 100% do this when I struggle myself with even listening to one?  I guess the reason I'm writing about this is because I actually found that I didn't have as much of a connection to this week's readings, and struggled a little at maintaining interest. This might be